Saturday, 14 January 2017

30year old Atari ST gets a dusting off

Whilst doing some tidying up between Xmas and New Year, I found myself in the attic/loft and I found that I had a couple of ATARI ST home computer systems sitting in a few boxes.

Well....I had a few days spare and it is that time of year to do some pointless things that are not strictly work related, but are technical and retro.

After rummaging through the boxes I found that I had bought a Hard Disc drive back in 2007, this got me thinking and I wondered if I could do something useful with the Atari ST, apart from just playing games...


Friday, 6 January 2017

free up space on a Pi Zer0

Whilst suffering from man-flu over this initial New Year period, I decided that I could not handle the perpetual boredom of illness.  Without the missus knowing, I snuck a Pi Zer0 into the bedroom and being very small, she didn't notice it plugged in on the bedside table......
I had previously setup this device back in May 2016, but hadn't found a reasonable use for it, it had an 8Gb microSD card in it and a WiFi dongle attached.  It was connected to the network in moments.

Using my trusty sshclient from my Amazon Fire Tablet (the "proper Mac laptop" being banned, as I was "ill" and that would tempt me to be doing work/work stuff), I ssh'd into the Pi Zer0.
First thing I noticed was that it only had 2.2Gb free!!! WTF?!?! This was a default install.  How do I claim some of that space back?  It turns out that this is the norm.

After a quick check, I did indeed have a lot of the bloatware installed - time to get rid of it:
>sudo apt-get purge wolfram-engine

>sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
>sudo apt-get purge minecraft-pi
>sudo apt-get purge scratch
>sudo apt-get purge sonic-pi
>sudo apt-get purge gpicview
>sudo apt-get purge penguinspuzzle
>sudo apt-get clean
>sudo apt-get autoremove

pi@raspzero:/opt $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       6.1G  2.1G  3.8G  36% /
devtmpfs        237M     0  237M   0% /dev
tmpfs           242M     0  242M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           242M  8.4M  233M   4% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           242M     0  242M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p6   63M   21M   43M  33% /boot
tmpfs            49M     0   49M   0% /run/user/1000

pi@raspzero:/opt $ 

After that, I now have a total of 3.8Gb of free space.  Wow, what a difference.

Now, time to set it up as a TOR proxy......why? well, why not.... I've got the time and only tissues, sudafed & cough medicine to keep me company...

Monday, 26 December 2016

Game Programming patterns

After working my way through a course on C++ and The Unreal Engine, I noticed some really interesting overlaps between the work I've been recently doing on robots and the work I'm going to be working on next year (Cognitive computing).

Anyway, just thought I'd link to this great book, that is also available for free to read online (downloadable pdf available, as well as a real physical book).

Monday, 19 December 2016

IBM & BMW and IoT

I don't know what you were doing a couple of months ago?.... but I know what I was doing with one of those BMW i8s :-)

This was my "office desk"

There are times I love my job.....

"The Internet of Things is transforming our relationship with the physical world. In Munich Germany, IBM is creating a new global center for collaborative innovation side-by-side with clients and partners. IBM will invest $200 million US to make Watson IoT HQ one of the most advanced facilities in the world.

BMW is one of the first collocated partners and together, we will start a new pilot program to explore the role of IBM Watson in the BMW i8 hybrid car. BMW engineers & IBM experts will work together in "collaboratories" to explore Watson technologies for personalization of the driving experience.

With conversational interfaces & machine learning, cars will get to know their drivers better."

Wednesday, 14 December 2016

Tuesday, 6 December 2016

A case of the Vapors

This one?

or this one?

"Create modern web apps, sites, and APIs using HTTP or real-time apps using WebSockets.
Nearly 100x faster than popular web frameworks using Ruby and PHP. Swift is fast by every meaning of the word.
The latest cryptographic ciphers, digests, and LibreSSL's new TLS (SSL) make security easy.
With middleware and Swift extensions, you can add custom functionality to Vapor that feels native.
The static type system allows you to write less and do more. Vapor apps are very concise and even more powerful.
With autocomplete, debugging, and breakpoints you'll spend more time creating and less time fixing."

I like the definition of "fun"......not quite how I would describe it, but, hey-ho, I'll let you decide :-)

Thursday, 1 December 2016

Some light reading....

some "light" reading for the next month or so.......

should keep me busy and out of trouble....or it could get me "into" trouble  :-D